LAPORTE HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELORS
Lead Counselor/504 Coordinator
Alpha A-E Counselor
La Greta Arrington
Alpha Le-Re Counselor
Alpha Rh-Z Counselor
Counseling Department FYI's...
Seniors who are registered for the October SAT date, may be allowed to obtain a refund or register with waived fees. See the announcement below from the College Board regarding PSAT/NMSQT testing, October SAT registration waivers and CSS profile waivers for students and families affected by Hurricane Harvey:
- Texas A&M University Houston Prospective Student Center: Application Workshop Wed., Sept. 27th 6:30-8:00 p.m., 1225 North Loop W STE 200, Houston, TX 7008. You must register in advance at https://recruiter.tamu.edu/register/Sep27AppWkshpHouston.
- University of Houston Clear Lake-Open House Saturday, Oct. 7th, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- La Porte High School’s Shared College Fair, in partnership with Deer Park ISD, Pasadena ISD, and First Baptist Christian Academy, will take place Thursday, November 16, 2017 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Deer Park High School’s South Campus.
Schedule changes for the 2017-18 school year have been completed. If there are concerns with a teacher and/or particular class, parents must follow the protocol listed below:
- Contact the teacher to discuss the issue.
- Setup a parent/teacher conference regarding concerns.
- If concerns have not been resolved, contact the student's administrator (assistant principal).
- The school administrator may request an additional meeting with parent and teacher.
- The school administrator will determine if further action is required and notify the appropriate counselor.
After School Credit Recovery
After school credit recovery will begin the week of September 25th. Student's are eligible for the after school credit recovery program to make up missing credits from core classes that were previously failed. Please see your counselor for registration information.
Counselors will begin meeting individually with seniors for senior conference meetings. During senior meetings, counselors will discuss post-secondary plans with students, and also discuss credit information and the student's STAAR testing status. After meeting with students, counselor's will mail this information home to parents. Please see the Home Access Form located at the bottom of this page.
Home Access Center:
It is recommended that all parents obtain login information for the Home Access Center (Parent Portal). Home Access will allow parents to view grades and attendance in real time for their students. Login information can be requested by contacting the main office, or the secretary for your child's assistant principal.
Students enrolled in Pre AP/AP courses must have a grade of 75 or above in their current class to continue with Pre-AP/AP classes for the following school year.
- Students enrolled in regular, academic level courses must have a grade of 85 or above in their current class before enrolling in Pre-AP/AP classes for the following school year.
- If a student requests a Pre-AP/AP course, dropping the course will not be considered until the 12 week period. It is advised the tutorials be consistently attended in order for approval to be considered. Students must obtain a Pre-AP/AP Schedule Change Request Form, there must be a parent/teacher conference, and signatures must be obtained from both parents and teachers. The student's administrator will make the final decision. Please contact your student's counselor for more information.
College Visits Days:
All 11th and 12th grade students are eligible to receive two college visit days, per year (junior and senior year only). Students must schedule their visit with the college in advance, and must obtain a college visit form from their counselor. The form must be returned to the attendance office, with the signature of the college representative and their contact information, upon return to campus.
Student athletes who are planning to participate in sports during college, must register with NCAA. It is recommended that students complete registration during their sophomore year. For more information, please visit www.eligibilitycenter.org. Please keep in mind that credit recovery programs are not recommended for student athletes participating in NCAA.
Sylvan Learning of Baytown offers free practice test reviews to all high school students. Contact Sylvan of Baytown at 281-421-4169 to schedule an appointment or for more information.
General Scholarship and College Planning Websites:
STAAR/EOC Testing Requirements:
STAAR/End of Course testing is required for graduation. Testing occurs during the spring semester of each school year. Retesting opportunities are available during the summer, and in December. Students must pass the following exams:
- English 1
- Algebra I
- English II
- U.S. History
For more information, please contact the LPHS Testing Coordinator, JuleeAnna Lee, at 281-604-7508.
Listed below are the following attachments:
- LPHS ACE Program Power Point
- Financial Aid
- New Graduation Plan Requirements
- Home Access Center Form
- LPHS Dual Credit Power Point