a program designed to prepare students in the middle who have not previously succeeded in a college preparatory path for admission to four-year universities and colleges.
- To provide academic instruction and other support to students and to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities
- To give students college level entry skills
- To increase the "coping skills" of program participants
- To motivate program students to seek a college education
- To increase the participants' levels of career awareness
WHO ARE THESE KIDS?
The AVID Student Profile
Students with Academic Potential
- Average to High Test Scores
- 2.0-3.5 GPA
- College Potential with Support
- Desire and Determination
Meets One or More of the Following Criteria
- First to Attend College
- Historically Underserved in 4-year Colleges
- Low Income
- Special Circumstances
WHO MAY PARTICIPATE?
Students who have the potential and desire to attend a four-year college and...
...have appropriate classroom behavior.
...have between a 2.0 and 3.0 grade point average.
...have a good attendance record.
...have good work habits.
...are willing to commit themselves to a minimum of two hours of homework each night.
...are willing to commit to enrollment in a rigorous college preparatory sequence of courses.
How does the AVID program contribute to the success of the students?
- Teaches study and organizational skills
- Uses English as a writing tool for learning
- Strengthens their writing skills
- Gives tutorial help through college tutors
- Teaches students to work collaboratively to be successful in the most rigorous courses
- Takes students to visit colleges and universities
- Assists students with the application process for four year colleges and universities
- Helps students explore careers through guest speakers
- Learning with college tutors
- Writing for all classes
- Developing success strategies
- Applying for collegePreparing for a professional career
- Visiting college campuses
- Interacting with guest speakersParticipating in extracurricular and community activities
For Further Information Contact: