LAPORTE HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELORS
Lead Counselor/504 Coordinator
Alpha A-E Counselor
La Greta Arrington
Alpha Le-Re Counselor
Alpha Rh-Z Counselor
Counseling Department FYI's...
Freshmen Portfolio Planning Meetings
Attention all 9th grade parents:
Counselors will begin holding Freshmen Portfolio Planning Meetings with all first time 9th grade students during the month of February. These meetings will include a review of the student’s graduation/endorsement plans, testing information, and selecting classes for the student’s sophomore year. If you would like to attend your child’s portfolio meeting, you must contact your child's counselor, by phone or email, by Friday, February 9th to set an appointment. Counselor contact information is as follows:
Felicia Becnel A-E-281-604-7526; Becnelf@lpisd.org
La Greta Arrington F-La-281-604-7520; Arringtonl@lpisd.org
Brenda Sadler Le-Re-281-604-7528; Sadlerb@lpisd.org
April Hawthorne Rh-Z-281-604-7519; Hawthornea@lpisd.org
Dual Enrollment/ACE Parent Meeting
The Dual Enrollment/ACE Parent Information Meeting will take place, Tuesday, February 27th in the Theater at 6:30 p.m. All current 10th grade parents and students are invited to attend the Dual Enrollment and ACE Parent Meeting. This meeting is mandatory for any student who is planning to participate in either program for the 2018-19 school year. If a parent cannot attend, they must contact Dr. Griffin, Associate Principal. Dr. Griffin and representatives from San Jacinto College will be present to provide all of the requirements, testing, and deadlines for both of these college programs.
Credit By Exam
La Porte ISD will conduct Credit by Exams (without prior instruction) March 21-23, 2018. Students may pick up registration forms from the counseling office beginning February 20, 2018. Completed registration forms must be returned by 2:45 p.m. February 26, 2018, to the student's counselor.
After School Credit Recovery
After school credit recovery will begin the week of January 22nd. Student's are eligible for the after school credit recovery program to make up missing credits from core classes that were previously failed. Please see your counselor for registration information.
Free TSIA Prep Sessions
San Jacinto College will be holding free TSIA prep sessions, once a month, in the Student Success Center of each of their campus locations. Dates and locations are as follows: Central Campus-Feb. 3rd, March 3rd, April 7th, and April 28th (11:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.). South Campus-Feb. 10th, March 17th, April 14th, and May 5th (11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.). North Campus-Feb. 17th, March 31st, April 21st, and May 12th (11 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.).
Semper Fidelis All-American Program
The Semper Fidelis All-American Program is a new honorary high school program that recognizes high school juniors from across the country who excel academically, athletically and within their communities. Selected students will receive an all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C. to attend the Battles Won Academy with a mentor of their choice. Student athletes who fit the description of a Semper Fidelis All-American can complete their application at https://sfaap.marines.com
. Students can nominate themselves or be nominated for this prestigious honor.
Clear Lake Area Panhellenic Association (CLAPA)
CLAPA will hosts it's annual information meeting for all area Senior girls planning to go through college sorority recruitment. This informative meeting will help prepare the potential new members for recruitment and how to gather the correct documentation required for a recommendation.
CLAPA Recruitment Information Meeting
Sunday, March 4, 2018, 2-4 PM
Bay Oaks Country Club
- University of Houston-Clear Lake Open House Saturday, February 10, 2018 firstname.lastname@example.org; 281-283-2515
- Stephen F. Austin State University Showcase Saturday, February 24, 2018 sfasu.edu/information; 936-468-2504
- Stephen F. Austin State University Showcase Saturday, March 24, 2018 sfasu.edu/information; 936-468-2504
- Historically Black Colleges & Universities College Fair, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, Marriott Marquis Houston https://goo.gl/forms/gWalqSJrMh2AZ0yd2 (registration deadline is by March 7, 2018)
- The Houston National College Fair, Thursday, April 12th, NRG Center, https://www.nacafairs.org/houston
Texas A&M CAMP ARCH:
The College of Architecture will be hosting Camp ARCH this summer from July 8th to the 14th. This program is designed to give students the opportunity to experience the professions of Architect, Construction, Landscape Architect and Visual Designer. The program is available to high school students who have completed the 9th grade or higher. The cost is $1200 and the application deadline is April 1, 2018. Applications can be picked up from the Counseling Center.
Texas Southern University Summer Maritime Academy:
Texas Southern University, in partnership with the Center for Advanced Multi-Modal Solutions an Education (CAMMSE) is hosting a Summer Maritime Academy for rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Students can earn up to $125 while learning more about Maritime. The application due date is April 13, 2018. For more information contact email@example.com. To apply online, please go to http://Transportation.tsu.edu.
Schedule changes for the 2017-18 school year have been completed. If there are concerns with a teacher and/or particular class, parents must follow the protocol listed below:
- Contact the teacher to discuss the issue.
- Setup a parent/teacher conference regarding concerns.
- If concerns have not been resolved, contact the student's administrator (assistant principal).
- The school administrator may request an additional meeting with parent and teacher.
- The school administrator will determine if further action is required and notify the appropriate counselor.
Home Access Center:
It is recommended that all parents obtain login information for the Home Access Center (Parent Portal). Home Access will allow parents to view grades and attendance in real time for their students. Login information can be requested by contacting the main office, or the secretary for your child's assistant principal. Please see the Home Access Form located at the bottom of this page.
Students enrolled in Pre AP/AP courses must have a grade of 75 or above in their current class to continue with Pre-AP/AP classes for the following school year.
- Students enrolled in regular, academic level courses must have a grade of 85 or above in their current class before enrolling in Pre-AP/AP classes for the following school year.
- If a student requests a Pre-AP/AP course, dropping the course will not be considered until the 12 week period. It is advised the tutorials be consistently attended in order for approval to be considered. Students must obtain a Pre-AP/AP Schedule Change Request Form, there must be a parent/teacher conference, and signatures must be obtained from both parents and teachers. The student's administrator will make the final decision. Please contact your student's counselor for more information.
- Change of course level request forms can now be obtained from counselors, Monday, October 23rd through Friday, October 27th. All forms must be submitted to the counselor by Monday, October 30th with parent, student, and teacher signatures. Please be advised that before submitting a change of course level request form, a parent/teacher conference must be held, and it is advised that tutorials have been regularly attend. All final decisions will be made by the student's assistant principal.
College Visits Days:
All 11th and 12th grade students are eligible to receive two college visit days, per year (junior and senior year only). Students must schedule their visit with the college in advance, and must obtain a college visit form from their counselor. The form must be returned to the attendance office, with the signature of the college representative and their contact information, upon return to campus.
Student athletes who are planning to participate in sports during college, must register with NCAA. It is recommended that students complete registration during their sophomore year. For more information, please visit www.eligibilitycenter.org. Please keep in mind that credit recovery programs are not recommended for student athletes participating in NCAA.
Sylvan Learning of Baytown offers free practice test reviews to all high school students. Contact Sylvan of Baytown at 281-421-4169 to schedule an appointment or for more information.
The registration deadline for the November 4th SAT is Thursday, October 5, 2017
The registration deadline for the December 9th ACT is Friday, November 3, 2017
General Scholarship and College Planning Websites:
STAAR/EOC Testing Requirements:
STAAR/End of Course testing is required for graduation. Testing occurs during the spring semester of each school year. Retesting opportunities are available during the summer, and in December. Students must pass the following exams:
- English 1
- Algebra I
- English II
- U.S. History
For more information, please contact the LPHS Testing Coordinator, JuleeAnna Lee, at 281-604-7508.
Listed below are the following attachments:
- LPHS ACE Program Power Point
- Financial Aid
- New Graduation Plan Requirements
- Home Access Center Form
- LPHS Dual Credit Power Point